Antioch Baptist Church
Tuesday, October 17, 2017
-=[ Displaying His Love, Declaring His Truth.]=-
Search this site.View the site map.

Church History

A BRIEF HISTORY OF ANTIOCH BAPTIST CHURCH

   The land on which Antioch stands was donated by Mr. W.B. Williams
in the early 1800's. The church was founded in 1831.  During our
early years, our church experienced many difficult times. In 1861
a tornado blew the church building completely away. A new church
was erected only to be destroyed by fire in 1875. Again, God's
people rebuilt in order to have a place of worship. There are few
records available concerning the life of the church between 1875
and the early 1900's. We do know that in 1889, under the leadership
of Brother JL Dawes, the church attendance was 63. By 1895, under
the leadership of Brother Doyle, church attendance had reached
137.

   Records show that in 1936, the church began a remodeling program
when electric lights were installed. On August 18, 1939, lightning
struck the building and again the church building was lost by fire.
Once again the church rebuilt and dedicated its new facility in
November of 1941. In 1960 the church voted to begin construction
on a new auditiorium as soon as the building fund reached a certain
figure. It was built on September 25, 1966. This is our present sanctuary
and worship center.

In April 1977, the church voted to begin construction of new kitchen
facilites, dining room, activities room and gymnasium.

We are excited to announce that God has sent us a new pastor, Dr. Bill Espy.  Dr. Espy and his family, wife, Leigh Ann, children, Hannah and Clay relocated to Antioch during May 2005.  We are excited and pleased to welcome Dr. Espy and his family to our church family.